Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe

       I have been searching for low carb recipes since the nurse at my 6th month check up said I should try to limit carbs to help accelerate my weight loss. Pinterest has been very helpful in this endeavor. It is filled with all sorts of low carb recipes and ideas. Honestly, up until this point, I didn't really consider my carb count. I have been tracking my nutrition and calorie count on My Fitness Pal, but didn't pay much attention to how many carbs I was consuming each day. I have a serious sweet tooth and that sort of makes me a carbohydrate junkie! Add to that the fact that I don't have a problem eating bread or sweets like some bariatric patients and it can be a problem! 
       While searching pinterest, I found many recipes that stated I could substitute cauliflower for potatoes or for wheat in bread recipes. I found a recipe a while ago for a cauliflower based pizza crust, but had filed it away in my to make someday recipe file. I decided last night to finally make the recipe. I used a bag of frozen cauliflower florets from Kroger. You can also use fresh, but this was very convenient and was only $1 a bag versus $2.99 for a head of fresh cauliflower. I would say this recipe is pretty easy, but needs to bake a while and then be flipped over and baked for a little longer to crisp up the edges. 



Here's the recipe:
Adapted from: Sugar Free Mom
Cauliflower Pizza:
  • 1 head cauliflower, washed, dried or 4 cups chopped (I used 1 12 oz. bag, frozen)
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup egg whites or 2 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup Marinara sauce
  • Desired toppings (I like ham and pineapple)
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut cauliflower into bite size pieces steam for 20 minutes until just tender. (Can microwave for 7-8 minutes instead). Place cauliflower in food processor and pulse until the size of rice. Pour riced cauliflower into a large bowl and add Parmesan cheese, egg whites, and seasonings. Mix well then spread mixture onto baking sheet or pizza pan until about 1 inch thickness. Bake for 30 minutes until browned on top. Invert over onto the other baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake another 10 minutes until browned. Spread marinara, sprinkle mozzarella, and desired toppings over the top and broil for 1 minute until melted. Let rest 10 minutes. Slice into 8-12 pieces. This pizza is more tender than a wheat based pizza, so you may have to eat with a fork. I honestly could not taste the cauliflower, nor could Mike who hates the taste of it. If it passes his taste test, it can fool any picky child! It was so delicious and it was nice to feel like I was indulging in normal food again. I will be making this recipe many times again! This can also be made into bread sticks by removing the marinara and pizza toppings and shaping it into a rectangle on a baking sheet. The original recipe from Sugar Free Mom made it as bread sticks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment